As one of the cutest varieties of the squirrel family, the Flying Squirrel is often kept as a pet. In that case, they are handled by their human owners and have a home in a nice comfy cage. But if they get in your attic or ceiling, they do not seem so adorable. You will want them out immediately.
Flying squirrels are nocturnal and will keep you and your family up all night with their chatter and playfulness. All the while, they are doing great damage to your home.
Covenant Wildlife Removal is a top-rated local family-owned, full-service wildlife trapping, removal, repair, and insulation services company. We can remove flying squirrels from your home before they become a massive problem for you and your family. We provide humane and safe flying squirrel removal services in Jefferson and Shelby counties. Contact us or call 205-855-8377 to set up an inspection.
We are licensed and insured and provide both residential and commercial properties nuisance wildlife removal services in Jefferson County, Shelby County, Hoover, Trussville, and Birmingham Alabama area.
What Damage Can Flying Squirrels Cause?
Although they are the lesser of the squirrels, the Flying Squirrel too has a list of the damage it can cause. Read below for a few ways they can damage your home or property:
- Tearing up attic insulation to make their comfy, cozy nests.
- Soiling rooms in your home with their urine, droppings, parasites, fleas, shedding fur, all of which can lead to health issues.
- When flying squirrels die in wall and ceiling voids, soffits, and other inaccessible areas, there is a horrible odor that occurs that can be unbearable.
- Chewing on wood, cables, and electrical wiring. They may even strip the insulation from the wires, which increases the chances for a short and the risk of fire.
- Dead flying squirrels become the perfect breeding place for flies, maggots, and diseases.
- Flying Squirrels are very “chattery” in an attic. When they form a colony, you may have up to 20 critters up there at a time.
How We Can Help
At Covenant Wildlife, we specialize in wildlife trapping, removal, damage repairs, and insulation with over 30 years’ experience. Should you hear the nighttime noises of flying squirrels in your attic or ceiling, give us a call, and we’ll come right out.
If the flying squirrels have glided onto your property, destroying the area they have nested in, we can trap and remove the pesky critters.
Should the flying squirrels fly on into your attic or ceiling, then there are a few steps we will take to safely remove them and restore order to your space.
- First, we will inspect to find all the entry points on your home and property.
- We then seal all of the entry points and vulnerable areas where the flying squirrels can glide into your home.
- Then flying squirrels can be trapped and removed, and remediation can begin.
Appearance and Behavior
This variety of squirrel grows from 3 inches to approximately 2 feet long. It weighs 3.5 to 5.5 pounds and can live up to 5 years. Flying squirrels have a round face, large round eyes, big ears, and long fluffy tails.
Flying squirrels are known to soar at great lengths from tree to tree. One single flight can span 150 to 500 feet. However, these highfliers do not actually fly; instead, they glide. The flying squirrel has what is called a patagium that extends in the shape of a square, acting like its wings or a parachute.
Flying squirrels are both omnivorous and nocturnal. With their highly developed sense of smell, they come out at night to forage for food. They eat things like seeds, nuts, tree sap, fruit, flowers, fungi, insects, and sometimes eggs.
Twice a year, flying squirrels will nest down to have their litter of pups. There they will have two to seven per litter per season. Since they van live up to 5 years, that is a lot of pups.
Naturally, they would build a nest comfortably in a tree. But if they set their sites on your home, you have trouble.
Reasons to Hire Us
- 24 / 7 Fast
- Itemized Repair List
- Experienced at Squirrel Removal
- Licensed and Insured
- Our Work is Guaranteed
- Remove Flying Squirrel Carcasses
- Satisfied Customers
- Competitive Pricing
Call Covenant Wildlife today at 205-855-8377 to rid you of any flying squirrel invasions in your home